It would be hard to find anyone who has not made at least one purchase online in recent years. Those who often engage in this activity cite the ability to buy the things they want at what appear to be far more attractive prices. This may be true with many types of commodity. However, it only rarely extends to such major purchases as appliances. There are certain things that one should never buy through the internet, and heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems should easily top the list.
Now, it is true that some online air conditioner prices may seem too good to pass up. In addition, the dealerships that make these apparent bargains available will frequently look completely respectable, and as summer rolls around and your old air conditioner balks at keeping pace with those rising indoor temperatures, the temptation to click the “buy now” button could be overwhelming. Before you do, remember this: You don’t want to make this mistake.
Of all the things that could go wrong, a certain subset will top the list. For one thing, you will have to:
- Install the air conditioning system by yourself. It may sound simple on the surface, but the proper installation of any HVAC system requires intensive training. If you don’t know exactly what you’re doing, you’re likely to do it wrong. Unfortunately, though, doing it by yourself will probably be your only choice, since your chances of getting a professional installer to do it for you will have lessened considerably. That’s because when you buy an HVAC system online, you’re really getting a pig in a poke. In addition to potentially being the wrong size, the unit could be mechanically unsound and composed of parts that may be long discontinued. Not all professional installers will be willing to take the chance.
- Expect an inefficient operation. An HVAC system that labors under the stress of a non-professional installation is an HVAC system that can easily give up the ghost at a moment’s notice. The money that you think you’ve saved through buying the unit online can easily fly out the window as you pay for costly emergency repairs and eventually need to replace your unit far sooner than you otherwise would.
- Say goodbye to any warranty protection. Unless you can provide proof of a professional installation by a technician with training on the system in question, many air conditioner manufacturers will refuse to validate your warranty. This may not seem to matter to you now, but when your system fails in the middle of an August heatwave, the chances are good that you’ll feel differently. Not only will you wish you had a warranty, but you might experience some difficulty in obtaining a contractor who is willing to repair any system that you installed yourself.
- Calculate the proper system size on a wing and a prayer. Doing this correctly takes experience. A unit that is not sufficiently large will have to work overtime to bring your home to the temperature you desire. The effort can easily overwhelm it. On the other hand, an overly large unit will cool your interior much too fast, turn on and off more frequently than it otherwise would and as a result be in danger of suffering premature death. Worse, the rapid cycling will stymie its efforts at pulling moisture out of the air, leaving your home both colder than it should be and clammy to boot.
The truth is that the purchase of an air conditioner is not always as simple as you think, and buying one over the internet requires more than a little faith. It is true that you get what you pay for, and with a major purchase like an HVAC system, any money you save up front is more than likely to evaporate when problems begin cropping up somewhere down the road.
The experts at Windy City Air Conditioning & Heating understand the desire to save money on an air conditioner purchase, but we also want to make sure that the unit you buy is one that will operate correctly and not cause you trouble going forward. When you purchase your air conditioner from Windy City Air, we will go the extra mile to ensure that:
- The model you purchase is sized correctly to suit your needs.
- The installation is done smoothly and correctly by technicians with training on the make and model.
- The warranty will remain active with nothing done wrong to void it.
The purchase of an air conditioner is never insignificant. Although you might think you’re finding an online deal that perfectly suits your needs, the odds of something going wrong are higher than many imagine. Why not do the smartest thing instead, and purchase your air conditioner through Windy City Air? We promise you won’t be sorry.